Welcome to the Public Index, a site to study and discuss the Google Books litigation. We have a comprehensive collection of legal documents relating to the settlement. Click here to read Judge Chin’s March 2011 opinion rejecting the proposed settlement. We also have a web version with links to the filings it discusses.
For breaking news and site updates, follow the Public Index blog.
Upcoming Events and Deadlines
- Class certification appeal fully argued, awaiting decision
- All other proceedings currently stayed
- Fact discovery completed by May 17, 2013
- Expert discovery completed by July 15, 2013
- All other aspects stayed pending Second Circuit’s decision in Authors Guild v. Google
- May 28, 2013: Defendants file responses brief in appeal
The Public Index is a project of the Public-Interest Book Search Initiative and the Institute for Information Law and Policy at New York Law School. We are a group of professors, students, and volunteers who believe that the Google Book Search lawsuit and settlement deserve a full, careful, and thoughtful public discussion. The Public Index is a site for people from all points of view to learn from each other about the settlement and join together to make their voices heard in the public debate.